A Century of Success: the Senior College Years (1957-1996)
1959, March. West Georgia College was authorized to grant the AB degree with majors in Math, History and English. In 1960, major in Biology added.
1960. William H. Row, former academic dean of the College who had come to West Georgia in 1946 as teacher of speech and drama and chair of the Division of Language, Literature and the Arts, became President of West Georgia College. Unfortunately, a fatal heart attack removed him from the presidency after only 9 months. Upon his death, former president Irvine S. Ingram returned as acting President and retired again after naming his successor a second time.
1961, August. James E. Boyd became President of West Georgia College. A Phi Beta Kappa graduate of the University of Georgia, he was also a member of the Junior College faculty from 1933-1935, serving for two years as head of the Mathematics and Science Department.
1963, Summer. The first Black student, Mrs. Lillian Williams, enrolled at WGC.
1964. Then Attorney General Robert Kennedy came to campus for dedication of the campus chapel as the Kennedy Chapel in honor of the late President John F. Kennedy. Constructed in 1893 in downtown Carrollton and used by the Episcopal Church and later by the Catholic Church, it was moved to the campus in 1964.
1967. Graduate work instituted with MA degrees in English, History and Psychology and the M.Ed. for Certification purposes.
1968-1969. Sororities and Fraternities were organized on campus and became nationally affiliated in 1970 and 1971.
1971, March. James E. Boyd left West Georgia College to become Vice Chancellor for Academic Development in the University System. Within a month he was chosen as Interim President of Georgia Tech.
1971, Spring. Ward Pafford, a Phi Beta Kappa graduate of Emory University with a Ph.D. from Duke University, was appointed as president of WGC. Then Governor Jimmy Carter was among those attending his inauguration on October 29, 1971.
1971-1972. Specialist in Education and MBA instituted.
1972. The Debate team rose from regional to national prominence by qualifying for the National Debate Tournament for the first time.
1974. Men’s basketball team, under Coach Roger Kaiser, won the national NAIA playoffs. The Lady Braves Basketball team, under Barbara Brown, won a state championship.
1975, July. Maurice K. Townsend, a political scientist who was inducted into Phi Beta Kappa at Boston University in 1949 became West Georgia College’s fifth president. His first major construction project was expansion of the college library. In the course of his presidency he personally donated 6,905 volumes to the library.
1980. West Georgia’s 23-year-long-dormant intercollegiate football team was re-established.
1980. The College adopted a new logo, patterned by sculptor Henry Setter of the Art Department on the horse-mounting block of Creek Indian Chief William McIntosh.
1982. Football team, coached by Bobby Pate, won the national championship in Division III.
1994. Beheruz N. Sethna, with Ph.D. from Columbia University and BA degree with honors from the Indian Institute of Technology in Bombay, became first person from an ethnic minority to head a predominately white or racially-integrated institution in Georgia when he was named President of West Georgia College.
1995. A former Fulbright scholar, Sethna successfully approached the Faculty Senate to establish an “Advanced Academy” on campus to provide opportunities for outstanding juniors and seniors in high school to take regular college courses and receive both high school and college credit.